Tuesday, May 6, 2008

A Step Closer To My Big Answer

Its another day of research where questions are build and answers can be found. The previous research I asked "As a student should I try to build an friendship with my teacher or remain only as a student?". This question has been on my mind for a while and its beginning to bother me. So I went to Google. On May 5, 2008 my teacher Mr. Malley taught the class a couple of tricks to help us with our research. In quotations I typed student and teacher relationships. Unlike before results where slimmed down and more specific. I clicked on an article titled "How To Impove Students With their Teacher". I picked this article because I assumed that it can answer my question. I opened up the article and began reading the suggestions they had. "Teachers are constantly trying to improve their relationship with their students. It is difficult to create a relationship relaxed enough so the students feel comfortable approaching their teacher while retaining a level of respect for them" (eHow Education Editor). This introduction made an interesting point. I feel as though that it is hard for a teacher to build relationships with their students. If teachers give the student the impression as if they are a teen, the student will only see them as friend of their age. But if the teacher give the student the impression that they are their friend but to a certain extent. This is how students pick who their favorite teacher is and how this teacher is this and that.
The article give steps how to avoid any conflict with the students trust and friendship.

Instructions

Difficulty: Easy
Step1
Set boundaries with the students. Know exactly how friendly is too friendly. Treat all the students the same.
Step2
Require the same amount of respect from every student. Students learn from example, so treat them with the same respect you expect to receive from them.
Step3
Be available for students to talk to you before school, during lunch or after class. Students may need help with work or just need someone to listen. Try to remain objective and never take sides with students.
Step4
Listen and try to understand the students. Students have problems just like everyone else. Try not to be too strict with the students so they don't dread coming to your class.
Step5
Greet the students with a smile as they come into class. Talk with them and listen to what's going on in their lives. This makes the students feel like you are interested in them.
Step6
Support the school's extracurricular activities. Even if you are not involved, go to sporting events, plays, concerts and other school events. When the students see you supporting them, they appreciate you more.
Overall this article has answered my question accurately. So after doin several research I strongly believe I know what to do to excel in my freshman year in college. I found valuable answers with accurate details and explanation.

Education Editor, eHow. "How To Improve the Students-Teacher Relationship." 21 May 2008 .
(How to improve the Student-Teacher relationship )




No comments: