Thursday, May 1, 2008

The Next step

Previous research was quite helpful; but my question what is the ratio of freshmen passing their first year still prove me to find answers. Is the ratio high or low? If high what is the cause? These questions had to be answered. Instead of Google I wanted to try Yahoo. I typed ratio of college drop outs. Results where shown but none of the results caught me interest. I typed in ratio of college freshmen drop out again none of the results appear to stand out to me. Frustration began to build while I still try to find results. I didn't know where to go. I didn't want to go beyond in my search so early. I'm not one hundred percent sure what I want to do.
My determination to find the answer became up roaring. I tried the Google again but this time I typed what is the percentage of college drop outs. I sign of relief finally came. I clicked on an article title Why DO 40 Percent Drop Out of College. Finally my question was answered. The percentage of college drop outs are 40% or higher. The next step was to find out what causes them(students) to drop out. Once again used Google. An article titled Officials Explain Dropout Causes-University. " As the stress of the end of the semester and the pressure of exams mount, many students begin to feel overwhelmed. For some, the best way to deal with the demands of college life, whether as a result of exams or just the daily grind of the school year, is to leave UNC. Despite the negative connotation normally associated with dropping out of college, some University officials said it can be the right option for students in certain situations. According to U.S. News & World Report, UNC's six-year graduation rate is almost identical to the retention rates at top-tier public universities, such as the University of Virginia and the University of California-Berkeley (Nicholson).
Now my question is what type of activity as an incoming freshman must do to excel in my first year?

nicholson, meredith. "Officials explain dropout Causes." 12/03/01 1. 21 May 2008 .
(Nicholson )

3 comments:

Jamal said...

I like your topic it does seem like you hear about of people going to college .... but not lasting to long. I would be interested in knowing more detailed reasons why people leave school ahead of time . That way you can prevent yourself from making the same mistakes and pass the knowledge on to others so you can avoid being a statistic

Meg said...

i believe the reasons why people drop out of college is because of money problems, the work is too easy, or the work is too hard or people just don't want to go because they are done with high school and they want to live their life and not go through more school that they just want to be done.

Anonymous said...

I think this is a very good topic considering that most of us seniors are going to collage next year. I think that one of the main reasons why freshmen dont make it there 1st year is that they see that 1st year as a playing around year were they are supposed to be doin the complete opposite.